Monday, September 17, 2012

Orion Rising


Out there, on the other side of the big, storm-twisted mesquite, some mangy critters are stirring. Dry desert till is shaking loose from its summer angle of repose; it tumbles down into the wash. Ironwood, so hard and dense it will sink, is curling back into its desiccated orneriness. 

If you listen closely enough, you can hear a shared "AAAHHH," as the nights drop back into the 60s and 50s and the distant mountains rise into fresh blue clarity. Gravel, dried wood, sky.

The desert rats are waking up. 

Fall is the beginning of their time. Time to get back out into the Big Silent, the Yawning Nothing,  the Elegant Empty. They are packing up, drying out food, cleaning mold and summer fungus out of old boots. God, it's been a muggy summer. But no time to waste on the past. It's now. It's here. Finally.

In spite of myself I can't help but feel good. People tend to disappoint me, but October in the desert never fails to exceed expectations.

October is the month of spider-webs, giant horse-lubber grasshoppers (complete with Halloween colors), migrating tarantulas, and busy skunks. The party that is August winds down; September is closing time for the summer orgies of feeding and mating. Male tarantulas go on a walk about in search of females. October, though, moves some of us bipeds into the rarified air of reflection. November brings clouds and the first taste of winter rain.

It is a lovely time of year, and as I open to it, I hear a voice on the wind. It is one that requires a lifetime of preparation to hear. One has to prepare by feeling the loss of things, really feeling the loss. One has to be humbled and a bit broken to understand.

"Your appetite for more has served you.... now you can let it go for a while," it says.

Of course, by appetite, the wind means hunger and grasping, all that drama that the gurus -- both false and true -- present to us from their soapboxes.

This hungry fiction called "me" does not want to hear this, especially if it comes on the form of cleaning out clutter, both physical and mental.

"What?" I say. "You want me to let go of everything I have been cultivating for 50 years!?"

Desert rats know that this time is golden. The airy walks in solitude have little room for noisy, shallow, vindictive pettiness. The world is big, exquisitely beautiful, and it doesn't enter or reveal itself if there is junk blocking the doors. I will never get what I thought I wanted, all that was withheld from me. Richard Shelton writes "I have learned to accept whatever men choose to give to me, and what they choose to withhold." I like that.

I have begun to accept that, to clean things out. I tossed (recycled) 30 years of accumulated teaching materials and research on Friday. They are gone. I am left with less encumberance.

As I toss more I will travel lighter. I still have a long way to go, but it has begun.

The reward is a clear sky, open ground, light load. But there is more. After the grief, there is tingling joy that comes from that which endures. The joy burns at the last remaining threads of attachment to the transient, to being right, to waiting for redemption.

This fall I feel old in many ways, but I feel free trying not to stay young. Rejoice, rejoice, fellow lunatics, malcontents who find the reward of the rockier path.



Lunacy

The fall moon had something to say
Last night.
Its light tapped me on the shoulder.
And I turned to see its
Beaming and benevolent
Face
Full and a bit proud
For having grown so bright
Again.
I listened and heard
A  low light
Whisper.

Stay awake with me
Tonight.
And shed the
Unnecessary weight
Of your life.
Pile it high by the road
For those who have too little
Or who need gilded
Spangles
To be happy.

Then wander the arroyos
Until your leanness
Sings to me
I who take your heart
Without mercy.

That is the way of beauty
She says
For those who turn to listen to
The moon. 

 


2 comments:

  1. Letting what is past
    fall away free

    Rejoicing Now

    Accepting the hopeful and hurting human within.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark,
    Wow! what a beautiful poem.
    It has wisdom and power.
    Thank you for writing it.
    Looking forward to seeing you soon,
    Erec

    ReplyDelete