Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Not On Edge -- Yet


Out here in the boonies of northwestern New Mexico, until recently, I've been a bit out of touch. Without cell service, email access, wifi, or other connectivity all the bad news has just floated over my head without my getting a chance to get huffy or anxious about it. Instead I watch the sun come up, tip my hat to the hummingbirds feasting on nectar at the feeder, and court jack rabbits with food for which they have no interest. There is plenty of fresh grass growing after summer rain. They don't need me, even if I want to discuss the progress of the day with them. My disconnection from news has made it hard to relate to fellow humans, though. I just can't seem to join the hyped up stress about the world; I have taken out the drip that feeds the modern mind its addiction to a world out of whack. And it is an addiction. Why else would screens follow us everywhere with images of the latest tragedy of terror, extreme weather, or bone-headed political scandal? We are addicted to being on edge. Now that I have access to the cyber syringe beeping there at the modem, I have to decide whether or not to partake. Oh, I know I'll be back in the boiling pot of fear, indignation, and anxiety soon enough, but right now I just want to inhabit a circle of quiet peace. The 21st century can go on without my worries about the next calamity. My lust for bad news will heat up a soon as I plug back in and rejoin my fellows in the tight bonds of the latest and greatest OMG!

1 comment:

  1. [Jeremy Frey here] Haha, very funny, Mr Jones, Very funny!

    Anyway, here's me real-er response: Your disconnection from the surface makes it possible for you to connect to fellow humans. Your not joining them in their believed thoughts make it possible for them to join you in yours. So, yes, the 21st Century goes on, ever-strong, even without you, so how 'bout Erec Totoro just goes for the next 21 days? 21 days of being that presence you are without the fucked OMG thing. You that, friend.

    ReplyDelete