Saturday, February 15, 2020

The Last Red-Eye


My cafe is closing. Today is the last day, and this steaming cup is my last red-eye here. For six years I have opened this place up at six a.m. to brood on the coming day, gather my demons together so I can see them clearly, identify what is important to me, pray a little bit, and write. It's been a kind of sacred ritual that will have to change, as all things must. So, I say goodbye, give a farewell kiss to  those mornings when words came to me. To all of those friends who I would never have met -- Gail, Bruce, Daniel, Chris, Danica, Cheryl, Sarah, and others -- I wish you well as we part paths. The coffee club disbands and life goes on, changed but aware of what is lost and what has been gained. Adios companeros.

No comments:

Post a Comment