Wednesday, February 14, 2018

I Didn't Sign Up For This


Coming into this life, I just wanted friendly community and a modest living: people and work I liked, connections and livelihood that paid well-enough, work that I was good at, more or less, friends that tolerated my jokes and desire to sing to them. That seemed fair to me. I'd show up, do my job, have a simple, peaceful life with some love, and space to be and grow. I did not think that elected policy makers would work at undermining affordable, quality education, make healthcare unobtainable, make my wages stagnant for decades on end, take my tax dollars to inflate an already bloated defense budget that will dig a deficit hole so deep we might become insolvent as a nation, and on and on. As a student of language and communication, I have witnessed the death of dialogue, the rise of fanaticism, and seen the face of my fellow Americans twist in grotesque rage at immigrants, or any change that requires an open mind to embrace. I have seen beauty replaced by ugliness. I see a growing isolation as people build a bubble of belief that fosters a dangerous solipsism. As I slide into the final chapters of my life, I hoped I would find peace and time to write. Instead I find discord and the need to act and respond to the poisons of fear, greed, and possible violence. I am disturbed by what I see, unsure how to respond. The work aint over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment