Thursday, March 9, 2017

So There I Was


My collar turned up against the cold, hands shoved into pockets of my trench coat, and cigarette burned down to the nub, I walked away from my last chance to be happy. Or so I thought. The gray sky pressed down like a slap, and sleet pelted my bare face. This was a lonely sidewalk in a dark part of the city. My feet hurt. I wanted to get back to the office where I might get warm, but I had no office, only the street and empty pockets. It's a long way to the bottom, but you get there eventually. The wonder of it is that you have nowhere else to go and a great sense of relief in having lost everything. It is then that you cut the cords holding you tied to all that old shit that hasn't worked so well after all. The drama of it gets old, and, if you're up for it, you can be done with it.  Free at last. A sharp knife, a keen and committed mind, is all you need really. Make it quick. Hold still now.

No comments:

Post a Comment