Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Kickin' It Before the Door Closes


The days are getting warmer and the university let us all go for a week of chill before the final push to the semester tape. The gift of time meant I could catch up on some long-neglected house projects, or rather one big project: re-build the shambles of an overhang in the back yard. Only this time I had to do it right. Cue up the anxiety about not knowing exactly what to do. How to hang a ledger board where the wall was crumbling adobe, a tangle of conduits, vents, drains, supplies, and rotten wood, along with the water heater exhaust and things underground like rocks, water lines, and monsters all took over my nights and kept me tossing, turning, wound up in knots. Oh well. Suck it bro, I said, on my way to Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and advice from YouTube. Pedal to the metal and keep moving, Buckwheat, I said. Days on a ladder are numbered and I get one more chance to breathe while my little world comes crashing down. I find comfort in the help of family and friends. With them, the little structure has taken form and might actually keep water from destroying all the tools I keep underneath. I know I can't do this work by myself. The trust fall has begun.


No comments:

Post a Comment