Friday, January 22, 2016

Delirium


It has been almost two weeks. This fever, chills, hacking cough, and resulting lack of sleep have made life more than a bit surreal. Every fourth breath or so sends me into a spasm of honking coughs. My head and stomach muscles ache with the strain.

But that's all just the physical sensations. The things I see in my head are what really disturb me.

You won't believe it, but I think I dreamed that Sarah Palin made it a point to endorse Donald Trump for president. I can hear you snickering. I know. That is pretty bizarre, even for someone wracked with fever, insomnia, and chronic fatigue.

But this vision was so real. She was standing at a lectern in a sparkly outfit and she spouted characteristic Palinisms like "We need to quit footing the bill for the sqirmishes of oil rich nations," and even stranger rants like "Well, and then, funny, ha ha, not funny, but now, what they’re doing is wailing, 'Well, Trump and his Trumpeters, they’re not conservative enough.' " Whatever that means. Then there was the "He’s got the guts to wear the issues that need to be spoken about and debate on his sleeve, where the rest of some of these establishment candidates, they just wanted to duck and club hide. They didn’t want to talk about these issues until he brought ’em up. In fact, they’ve been wearing a, this, political correctness kind of like a suicide vest." Political correctness as a suicide vest? 

I know, crazy. Only a fever-wracked mind could make this up. There is no way it would float out there in the grounded world of health and rational consciousness. This fever-driven vision persisted and got even more bizarre. Palin went on to really unify her audience with its characterization as "Right-winging, bitter-clinging, proud clingers of our guns, our God, and our religion, and our Constitution." Wow.

In my delirium, people actually seemed to understand what she was saying, to eat it up even. It must have the psyche working something out, some toxin leaving the body. It was trying to get rid of something so I could begin the long haul back to health. 

When I finally made it to morning, I couldn't shake the strangeness of it all.

Thank God this fever will expire eventually and I can get to a world that makes some sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment