Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Off the Rails


The semester was just lifting off, and I was hanging on by my fingernails as it gained momentum, when the bug struck.

Now, this is no ordinary bug. This is the kick-your-butt-around-the-block-for-warm-up bug. It's the fever/body ache/lung/throat/head/stomach/sinus bug, the phlegm/nausea/can't sleep or breathe bug.

That's all what it is, but the worst part of it is that it also robs its sufferers of their brains.

I honestly cannot think to remember what it is I am supposed to be doing for work, house, bills, personal hygiene or any kind of daily function.

Of course, as I sit here still in the throws of the bug's effects, the semester has left the station and me behind it. This is not a question of willingness, but of ability.

For the first time in my thirty years of teaching I may be incapable of running my classes.

I guess this time comes eventually for everyone. Up until now, bugs like this come and go. This one seems to here for a long haul. It shows no signs of giving up as the days and nights pass.

I can only hope that I find my brain before it is too late to repair the damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment